Medical Assistant FT – South Bend, IN (Western Ave)
IHC at South Bend
Indiana Health Centers, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or in the provision of services.
The position listed below is open and available to all qualified candidates. Any individuals interested in submitting their application for candidacy should do so in writing. All submissions should identify the position. Please email all resumes and cover letters to Stephenie Knoll: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Medical Assistant contributes to IHC’s mission and goals of client satisfaction, quality of care, cost competitiveness, and productivity by performing basic preparation and examination of the patient, maintenance of supplies in the examination areas, as well as maintenance of instruments and equipment. The Medical Assistant conducts laboratory and diagnostic tests and is actively involved in chart documentation.
Evaluation of performance
Performance will be evaluated based on meeting specific goals, productivity measures, employee satisfaction scores and other quality indicators established for this position such as: IHC strategic objectives; site strategic objectives; functional capabilities; leadership and/or employee capabilities; IHC commitments, quality measures, and productivity measures.
Application of knowledge
Knowledge of the detailed processes, methods, and techniques, as well as practical knowledge of a medical assisting in a primary care setting; knowledge permits the MA to schedule and carry out the steps of triage, blood draw, or vital checks, and to complete important steps of related procedures or protocols.
- Functions as support team member for the patient; assists patient to the examination room, gives information to the patient and collects information for the provider.
- Obtains vital signs and other pertinent physical data.
- Completes and updates medical history of the patient.
- Checks the health care plan appropriate for the patient’s age.
- Assists the doctor with examinations, minor surgeries, performs EKG’s, hearing and vision testing and nebulizer treatments.
- Performs venipunctures and gives immunizations.
Laboratory, Charting and Supply Maintenance:
- Performs Hct/Hgb’s, hematocrit, blood sugars, urine dipsticks, pregnancy tests, lead screens, strep tests, etc.
- Prepares and sends out laboratory, pap, lead screens, and STD for testing.
- Keeps logs and paperwork associated with the above tests and procedures current.
- Records laboratory tests and processes laboratory test results.
- Follows up on TB and Immunizations.
- Updates EMR with test results and checks results against the lab test log.
- Completes medical and laboratory supply inventories for all exam rooms and labs.
- Sterilizes instruments.
Job controls and complexity
The MA carries out a work procedures using methods and desired results as explained by the supervisor and/or described in IHC guidelines and standard operating procedures. Processes, procedures, or equipment/tools/software vary from one assignment to the next, although assignments are related in function and objective. Based on particular assignment, the MA must use diverse but conventional methods, techniques, or approaches. Tasks involve related steps, processes and methods that require the MA to recognize clear differences in a variety of situations. Work product and service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes and services.
Critical skills and behaviors
Logic and analysis – Able to:
- Demonstrate analytical problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic mathematics.
Communication and Relationship Building –Able to:
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills.
- Effectively communicate with diverse individuals.
- Resolve conflicts; negotiate to achieve desired outcomes.
- Persuade, and /or influence others that he/she does not directly supervise.
- Cooperate with a multi-disciplinary management team.
- Establish and maintain team-based working relationships with providers, employees, and clients.
- Demonstrate positive customer service skills.
Medical Assisting – Able to:
- Demonstrates some knowledge of and performs basic principles of public health and sanitation.
- Perform basic nursing procedures, obtain vital signs and blood pressure.
- Able to learn and follow established clinical practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate skill in the use of standard medical examination instruments and equipment.
- Able to prepare and maintain accurate medical records.
- Develop and implement procedures according to general instructions and protocols.
- Demonstrate high detail orientation and accuracy.
- Juggle multiple requests and meet multiple deadlines.
- Take initiative and needs minimal supervision.
Administration and Management –Able to:
- Prioritize and organize tasks and time; follow up.
Process Improvement – Able to:
· Develop and manage processes to time and standard.
· Analyze work flow and implement process improvements where necessary.
· Design, initiate, and/or participate in process improvement projects with other members of care team.
· Document standard processes and problem-solving methods/ techniques.
Technology –proficient in computer skills, including typing and use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, eCW, etc.
Graduation from a recognized Medical Assistance Program. Completion of Medical Assistant certification exam enables MA to qualify for CMA status.
Please email all questions/resumes to Kelly Rochford at email@example.com.