Spanish-speaking Medical Assistant
*Click here to return to OPEN POSITIONS
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
The Certified Medical Assistant contributes to IHC’s mission and goals of client satisfaction, quality of care, cost competitiveness, and productivity by performing basic preparation and examination of the patient, maintenance of supplies in the examination areas, as well as maintenance of instruments and equipment. The Certified Medical Assistant conducts laboratory and diagnostic tests and is actively involved in chart documentation.
- Functions as support person for the patient; assists patient to the examination room, gives information to the patient and collects information for the provider.
- Obtains vital signs and other pertinent physical data.
- Completes and updates medical history of the patient.
- Checks the health care plan appropriate for the patient’s age.
- Assists the doctor with examinations, minor surgeries, performs EKG’s, hearing and vision testing and nebulizer treatments.
- Performs venipunctures and gives immunizations.
Laboratory, Charting and Supply Maintenance:
- Performs Hct/Hgb’s, hematocrit, blood sugars, urine dipsticks, pregnancy tests, lead screens, strep tests, etc.
- Prepares and sends out laboratory, pap, lead screens, and STD for testing.
- Keeps logs and paperwork associated with the above tests and procedures current.
- Records laboratory tests and processes laboratory test results.
- Follows up on TB and Immunizations.
- Updates EMR with test results and checks results against the lab test log.
- Completes medical and laboratory supply inventories for all exam rooms and labs.
- Sterilizes instruments.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the detailed processes, methods, and techniques, as well as practical knowledge of a medical assisting in a primary care setting; knowledge permits the CMA to schedule and carry out the steps of triage, blood draw, or vital checks, and to complete important steps of related procedures or protocols.
Logic and analysis – Able to:
- Demonstrate analytical problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic mathematics.
Communication and Relationship Building –Able to:
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills.
- Effectively communicate with diverse individual.
- Resolve conflicts; negotiate to achieve desired outcomes.
- Persuade, and /or influence others that he/she does not directly supervise.
- Cooperate with a multi-disciplinary management team.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with providers, employees, and clients.
- Demonstrate positive customer service skills.
Medical Assisting – Able to:
- Demonstrate some knowledge of and performs basic principles of public health and sanitation.
- Perform basic nursing procedures; obtain vital signs and blood pressure.
- Able to learn and follow established clinical practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate skill in the use of standard medical examination instruments and equipment.
- Able to prepare and maintain accurate medical records.
- Develop and implement procedures according to general instructions and protocols.
- Demonstrate high detail orientation and accuracy.
- Juggle multiple requests and meet multiple deadlines.
- Take initiative and needs minimal supervision.
Administration and Management –Able to: prioritize and organize tasks and time; follow up.
Technology –proficient in computer skills, including typing and use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, eCW, etc.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a recognized Medical Assistance Program. Spanish language skills required.
[contact-form-7 id=”1848″ title=”Spanish-speaking Medical Assistant”]