*click here to return to OPEN POSITIONS
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
The Dental Hygienist contributes to IHC’s mission and goals of client satisfaction, quality of care, and productivity by providing quality dental care to patients and teaching preventive care methods and techniques to improve dental hygiene of patients. The Dental Hygienist works with the Dentist to develop treatment plans and to identify diseases of the mouth, gums or throat.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of professional dentistry, public health, and dental care concepts, principles, and methods together with extended clinical experience. Knowledge permits the employee to complete recurring assignments by applying well-established principles, to carry out process improvement projects, and to coordinate work with others.
- Performs routine treatment procedures such as cleaning, polishing, application of sealants and fluorides.
- Takes and develops dental x-rays.
- Develops, with the dentist’s input, treatment plans for patient and performs patient education, as needed.
- Assists dentist in performance of special tests, procedures, and complex treatments.
- Makes impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts.
Charting and Room Maintenance:
- Completes dental charting.
- Documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on results.
- Assists in preparation of dental treatment rooms for the next patient, assists in sterilization of dental instruments and equipment.
- Keeps current on latest techniques and tools of dental hygiene
- Mentors and teaches Expanded Function Dental Assistants, especially on new or emerging techniques and tools of dental hygiene
Logic and analysis – Able to:
- Gather, organize, and analyze information and data
- Perform initial problem-solving; draw initial evidenced-based conclusions
- Accurately perform mathematic calculations.
Communication and Relationship Building –Able to:
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication, strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a wide variety of patients, including children
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills
- Able to work well in a team environment and as part of a team
Dental Hygiene – Able to:
- Perform a full range of established dental hygienist protocol and procedures
- Independently assess the nature and extent of dental, periodontal, and associated conditions and pathology in dental patients
- Support, consult with, and train dental techniques and tools
- Conduct initial evaluation on the effectiveness of existing methods and procedures
- Recommends changes to existing clinic procedures based on new or emerging dental hygiene procedures or practices
- Demonstrate understanding of patient screening, charting, and medical history procedures and documentation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic dental surgery and associated procedures, terminology and techniques
- Demonstrate knowledge of specialized terminology related to dental documentation and electronic medical records systems
- Demonstrate ability to apply set up and prepare dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with regulations and guidelines
- Demonstrate mastery of the administrative practices, policies, and regulations related to dental records, primarily HIPPA
Work Product – Able to:
- Juggle and meet multiple requests & deadlines
- Maintain high detail orientation and accuracy
- Prioritize, organize tasks and time, and follow up.
- Perform responsibilities efficiently and timely.
- Take initiative and need little supervision.
Process Improvement – Able to:
- Perform and coach others on standard work relating to quality and compliance
- Recognize and suggest alternate methods or processes the may need improving
- Participate in performance improvement activities.
Technology – demonstrates proficient computer skills, including ability to use electronic health records and software (eCW); keyboarding skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Associates Degree or Bachelors Degree in Dental Hygiene from an accredited school.
Prefer six (6) months experience in a clinical setting. Licensed Dental Hygienist by state of Indiana.